28 October 2009

The world is still out there, just beyond the fog...



Sometimes in a job like this one, the four walls start to close in on you. The day to day becomes all there is, and anything you used to enjoy or love to do seems so far away that it will never come back. It begins to feel like this small place, that's not much fun, is all that's left for you.
Sometimes you don't even know that your beginning to feel this way, until something happens that shakes you up and shows you that HEY, THE WORLD IS STILL OUT THERE, JUST BEYOND THE FOG (read sand storm) OF THIS WAR.

I had such an experience recently. A very relaxed concert. A few people from home coming by to say, hey, were all still here waiting for you. (Craig Morgan; Chris Young) Also some very heroic stories from others who have served and been injured. (Scott Lilley; Joseph Bowser) It was a real one-two punch that I needed. One to slap me and say, relaxation and enjoyment are still possible. And another to remind me that outside of the walls I'm stuck in there is still just as much war going on as there were in my last two tours.

I feel releaved, renewed, and revived. I just wish I could change up my job a little to help keep me from slipping back into the complacency that is this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment