20 October 2009

Not a good day



So, here is an example of a day I wish I could just forget.
Were at a get together for a unit we just joined, and found out we were going to be deploying to Iraq with. Let's just say this was a day full of feeling like you didn't belong and you weren't wanted. I guess it's akin to being the last one picked for a team.
Before someone drops a comment like, get over it, toughen up, or something of the nature, just let me say one quick thing:

F&^% Off.
I'm just saying how it felt, and oh look... here I am in Iraq doing my job.

OK now that we've dispensed with the formality's,
It was a sort of hot day, one you could sit outside for, and it wasn't bad as long as there was a breeze, but once the breeze stopped you would want to get inside. We spent it aimlessly walking around saying hi to the few people we knew, and generally trying not to look as unimpressed, or unimpressive as we felt. I think the feeling was akin to when you were in grade school, and you realized that you had forgotten to do your homework. Or when you knew your parents just found out you had done something wrong, and you knew they were on the way to talk to you. It's something in the pit of your stomach, and it's not good.
Thank God we had each other.

2 comments:

  1. hello there.. i returned to read your blogs ;-) I have to say, i do understand the feeling of being somewhere where you should be but somehow don't belong. I sure hope you guys will make it alright through your duration. I don't know what it is like to be a soldier or to be deployed into a foreign country such like Iraq, but I know what it is like to be the wife of an officer in a foreign country and making it my home... almost 16 years now and i still, at times, feel out of place and stared at. And I go on, doing my job and brush off the stares as well as I can... how about a virtual hug ?

    ReplyDelete